CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

It's Not About Grades: ILP

I've noticed over the past few days that the ILP grades for my class seem a bit lower than usual. There could be a number of reasons for this. Primarily I am thinking it is a result of these two: 


The ILP itself changed. Different questions, and it seems slightly different point values since last year.

Being taught in class gave students a sense of over-confidence with regard to the timeline. Several of the lower grades in my class are due to a failure to complete all of the assignments.

Either way, grades aren't everything. I tend to stress this fact to my students, and I feel that in this instance it is an appropriate sentiment. This term my students seem to be much more engaged with their topics, they are curious, they want to know. It doesn't feel like I am dragging them along from one assignment to the next. This is great. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

curious is good,

Laura said...

Since I don't have any other terms to compare my students' ILP grades to, I can't say much about my grades. Well, I can say that if people DID the ILP, they scored pretty high. In one class, I had three or four people who didn't even do it (after several reminders and second chances).

I'd've thought yours would've scored almost perfect scores, though. So that's interesting. Maybe it was an over-confidence.

Julie said...

Real issue was people not bothering to complete all portions of the ILP. So ehh...

amd said...

I noticed that too, and meant to mention it earlier. I think part of it was the change to assignment 2. Because the questions were clearer, and students were getting the concepts, I was a lot more comfortable taking points off for almost-but-not-quite answers. When the questions were not clear to the students, that distinction between "totally getting it" and "almost" wasn't there - so "almost" answers tended to score higher. But most of all, there used to be 5 points of extra credit on that assignment, and we took that out.

I felt like the scores this time were more accurate reflections of what was really going on, fwiw.