CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 1, 2008

Teach This

Today it became clear that my students don't/didn't understand warrants. The better part of the day was spent explaining warrants in detail and providing a number of exercises to help them get some practice with warrants. It went especially well in my 10am class where students took initiative and began working with other students outside of their groups. In my 8am there was also one remarkable instance of a student working beyond the scope of the assignment to provide a fellow student with some tutoring. 


We also revisited information literacy by discussing context and how context effects rhetoric. We talked about how to search for information about the historical context of an essay, and how to determine if something historically concurrent is also relevant. 

It was a highly productive day in the classroom. 

Outside of the classroom, not so much, but hopefully I can set things right in my own academic house before the week is out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

warrants? i only know of police warrants like being arested.whats it have to do with literature?

PW said...

Good Morning Julie Mae, What's a warrant? It must have been rewarding to see your students working together to understand! I hope you find time today to get your work together. PW

Julie said...

warrants are the values or assumptions that are implied by the claim. So if I claim that the movie Tommy Boy is funny so you should see it, the assumption (warrant) is that you will also enjoy movies, comedy, the type of comedy that Tommy Boy is etc...

It was great seeing them absorb new information, but I have had to face the fact that this term I put tons of energy into teaching and not so much into my own work, which was foolish...sort of.

hobbit said...

If anyone can pull it all together though it's you hippy! No stress.
P.S is there a warrant in that staement??????

Anonymous said...

thanks,i should of just did my pull out the dictionary,i guarantee thats what i,ll do next time:)