CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Confessions

Today in Women's Lit we talked a bit about confessional poetry. This makes sense as we're reading Anne Sexton. I used to really enjoy Sexton and Plath, but to be honest I've lot my taste for confessional poetry. It seems juvenile to me, and I am frankly not interested in hearing people whine about their troubles in poems. Ironic since in life I enjoy listening to people and trying to offer guidance, but when it comes to poetry I think it seems gratuitous. Sorrow and grief have a place in poetry but for me confessional poetry seems more interested in shock value...blah. 


We're also reading through The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. I am having mixed feelings about this text. While I enjoy the quality of the writing it seems as though I am turned off by most women's lit from the 1970's and 80's. I haven't really pinned down what it is about it that irks me.

Lately I've been thinking about my own writing. I'm considering working out a few confessional poems of my own that explore only joy and contentment. I've also been thinking about my book, Oxbow Infamous which has been on the shelf for over a year now. I want to work on my fiction but it doesn't seem practical right now. At least I get the opportunity to work on my poetry in the company of some other poets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe listing thier problems in poetry was the only way they could get people to listen!

A

Bird Wicks said...

oxbow infamous? yay! and i agree with annie, maybe some people can't talk unless they write poems :)