CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Topography and Thesis

I started reading another Wharton novel today, Hudson River Bracketed.  Published in 1929 it is claimed by some scholars that Wharton considered this work to be one of her best novels.  I am only about 90 pages into it, but there are already several points of interest concerning water issues.  I am not sure if this novel will end up in my thesis as a case study, but it is certainly evidence that water issues were important to Wharton since some of the same issues she was considering in 1913 appear many years later.


Aside from Wharton this day was mostly spent playing with the dogs and catching up on some Columbia Basin Ecology. This week the lessons revolve around industrial disturbances, depressing, but interesting. This class, although it is a great deal of work, and not particularly related to my thesis, has been quite inspiring. I've decided to work on developing a collection of geology/ecology-inspired poems. The tentative title is "Belated Odes to Harlan Bretz". 


3 comments:

Bird Wicks said...

Haha, so funny that I missed that when you first told me! I'm so lame :)

Anonymous said...

Hey bird i like your bolg. I so lame. i forgot my password and was unable to leave you a comment there so julie will have to pass this on to you. I have many birds in my back yard and i can see where they can all start to sound alike. Beautiful spot on the ocean hope I can get to see it someday. Congrats. you two!

Awesomeauntie! LOL

Anonymous said...

i should like to read these poems when you are ready...yay to your novel having the issues u were looking for in it.