CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Flagging, Feasting and Free-Verse

It seems I just can't keep the same intellectual pace up anymore. I haven't really read any scholarly works in some time. I've slowed down in my Wharton readings as well. I suppose the lull is understandable given the intensity of the past few weeks, but it is somewhat dismaying. I'm hoping to go to the map and photo archives tomorrow to find some information about the historical hydrology and geology of Pendleton, Oregon. The due date for this Columbia Basin paper is fast approaching. 


Despite the diminished scholarly work I have been busy mixing up pizza dough, making jugs of tea, Thai peanut sauce and the like. 

I've also written three or four poems, none of them very good, but they are first drafts after all. 

Channeled Scablands

1.

I will be a reminder

a curve

hugging close hand

to hip

a whiff of water

in a wasteland

slip of skin black

between shadowy hillocks

a glimmer of cataclysm

some will say

sun white in open sky

light I will be

reflecting

whispers the fluvial

fluctuations

of will whirling

star-spit in a field of

basalt umbilici

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the nw look! the poem is a litte deep for me but what do I know? Go be light!

Bird Wicks said...

I like the poem. It reminds me of cake a little, not in that it compares machines and humans, but rather nature is humanized. At least that's the feeling I get from it. It's nice :)

Anonymous said...

i love the peom...very cutting and i like the play on words. As for academic paces....i honestly feel that at this point you've been going non stop for a year...take bird take a trip and chill before classes really get crazy again....you deserve it