CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Keep Prayin' I'm Still Queer and I Was Created This Way

It just keeps getting better. The news today is that Sarah Palin belongs to a church that wants to "pray away the gay". Please bear in mind that this is her less fanatical church. Her first church was one where folks speak in tongues. 

Now I am not opposed to churches or speaking in tongues but I think the ultra religious have no place in national politics. I think our nation is too spiritually diverse to be run by anyone with intensely fringe religious beliefs. 

Not that I planned on voting for McCain, but if I had been this would have totally sent me running for the hills. I hope those gay republicans* out there will think seriously about their political allegiances. We have so many enemies in this world, people too small minded to accept the possibility of love beyond gender/sex. 

I encourage the folks in Wasilla AK to keep on praying for God's will to be done in my life because I believe it already has been. I am blessed, happy, bright and healthy...oh yes and queer.


*On a side note I am personally bewildered by gay republicans. I've been reading their web page trying to get it, but I don't get it.  They say that protecting gay families and promoting legal adoptions for gay couples are important, they then say they support McCain, then they point out that "He supported Arizona's 2006 effort to ban marriage equality and roll back domestic partner benefits offered by some municipalities in the state.   McCain opposes hate crime legislation and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).  He supports continuation of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law, which prevents gays and lesbians from serving openly and honestly in the U.S. military".

4 comments:

Bird Wicks said...

Yeah gay republicans are bizarre anomalies. They're also very terrifying. I've come to the conclusion that many republicans just don't think when it comes to their platforms or candidates. Too much focus on everyone else maybe.

Anonymous said...

JESUS PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS.

Sara Jameson said...

Well, as we said yesterday, people are not logical, they are psycho-logical. That's why we need pathos and ethos in addition to logos for rhetoric. But people think they are - even go so far as to think it's possible and desirable to write a totally objective essay. Better to just be upfront about one's coign of vantage. (Great phrase, not enough chances to use it!)

PS: Thanks for using light blue for the pasted material because I could read it - faintly - on the blog reader, whereas I cannot read the white on white at all.

Laura said...

Hey, Julie.

Ooh, I like that a lot: "the possibility of love beyond gender/sex." That's it exactly -- a lack of imagination, an inability to see love beyond biology.

When you say "fringe," you probably mean it as in "fundamentalist" (and "fundamentalist" as in anti-modern). And then I agree -- because any views which are religiously fundamentalist cling too tightly to forms and rules rather than to God (and God-given diversity).

But, at the risk of being nit-picky about words... I want to say that a religious belief's actual "fringe"-ness doesn't make much difference -- because a fringe view could be the just, loving, and freeing one, as easily as it can be the fear-based limiting one. There are plenty of non-mainstream groups who are trying to work for justice for all, who are trying to nurture diversity. We have to look at the fruits of religious belief. Not much else is a workable criterion.

heheh, sorry -- I can get a little defensive about any limitation of "religion" in the public sphere. Religion and religious beliefs are so diverse -- because individuals are so diverse -- that we can only make decisions/judgments about them based on their individual fruits.

Anonymous commented, "Jesus, protect me from your followers." On one level, I relate to that sentiment. On another, I want to ask, "WHICH followers?" Some of them I very much WANT to influence me.

Anyway, sorry again, if I'm being a bit too worried about word-choice (which I probably am!). :)

But yes, praise God you're queer. Praise God I am!