CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pre-Terrm Madness: How to update updates...

The past few days I've been working with Sara J, Peter and Laura to orient the new TA-folk. This has been an exciting and exhausting process for me, and likely for the incoming TAs as well. I sense that many of them might be feeling a bit overwhelmed, but it can't really be helped.

When it comes to my own situation I am at the moment bewildered but indifferent to the challenges of finding the correct classes to fulfill all of my requirements. I've decided to dedicate this term to completing one chapter (and hopefully the preface) of my thesis. I've also compiled about 12 schools that I am "interested" in attending (although really only two or three are totally desirable). The next step is signing up to take and studying for the subject GRE. I am not a big fan of standardized tests, and I typically don't do that well on them, so this is a source of some minor anxiety. To remediate this anxiety (a little at least) I am dropping most of my classes this term and taking some thesis hours to round out the gaps.

My teaching plans are in order so I am happy to say there is no tension surrounding that particular issue.

Wharton, Spanish class, Writing 121 and more Wharton look like the immediate future of my academic life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

calm down an take the time to breath.I can feel your bloodpresure going up. Julie you are blessed,in your short life you have done and seen many things and you will go on to do many more.relax the spirits of many are with you. peace

Bird Wicks said...

You'll do well. As we always try to tel ourselves "what ever happens, happens." Or something along those lines :)

Laura said...

You're right, there: orientation week was pretty exhausting. On Wednesday, I was SURE it MUST be Friday. And after about a week and a half of being back in Corvallis, I felt as if I'd been here a month. Whew...

Hmmm, I'm thinking I need to follow your lead and really focus on getting a chapter done on my thesis. But I'm also teaching for the first time, so I haven't EVEN thought about my thesis in the last month and a half. But I gotta... I gotta, I gotta. ;)

But yes, I agree with Anon and Bird: you'll do fine. I say that because I've (kind of) known you for a year. And I see in you a reserve of calm and confidence you can always tap into when needed. And, more importantly, I simply like the way you think. :)