CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

Of Pie Charts, Pirates, and The Changing Light

I am up to week eight with my daily PowerPoints, which are essentially skeletal lesson plans designed to trigger my memory regarding what I want to teach on a given day. While it might seem neurotic and rigid to do such a thing I assure you that the PPT's are largely tongue in cheek. Each day starts with a pie chart showing how many classes are left in the term. Students seem to find it funny, though maybe they just laugh to amuse me. Either way. 


To pass the time while I slave away there is a random ipod mix playing in the background. The pirate music is especially rousing!

Autumn is coming, and it's not just the TA madness that tells me so. I have been noticing the sad decline in light that crosses my little patio. When we moved in last February there was just a small patch where sun shone for more than an hour or two. This little patch will be my winter garden zone. 

The summer garden is in transition.  The tomatoes on my "Willamette" are ripening and the others are large and yellow-green. Some of the gladiolus, which oddly enough never flowered, have started to brown. Meanwhile the fuchsias and strawberries have decided with determination to bloom again so white and pink flowers abound.

Lots of work to do, both here and at school, between now and November.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pirates music. Da! Da! da da da da da! LOL I had bad luck with tomatoes this year tooooo much rain! Sounds like you try to make class fun. The days grow short when you reach September or so the song says!

Love A

Bird Wicks said...

The few oaks that have already turned color are a clear indication of autumns approach. I suppose the migrating birds and already mixing "winter" flocks of chickadees and red-breasted nuthatches should be a clue as well.