CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sustainability and the TA

In an attempt to bring sustainability into my classroom I've turned all of the homework assignments into online assignments using our online classroom component known as "Blackboard". 


Although computers use a great deal of electricity, it is a simple fact that 99% of my students turn in computer produced homework assignments. Since they are on the computer anyway, I figure making the assignments paper-free will cut down on resource use, and reduce the clutter on my desk. I'm all in favor of this. 

I'm also experimenting with some online peer review. While this may not be a move toward sustainability, I want to see how the online portion of my class might be used to facilitate discussions that might not happen face-to-face. I have no idea how this will work, but at the very least it will be a learning experience for me. I think online teaching is a great thing. It is a way to reach students who otherwise might never attend the university. It is also a way to enhance the learning experience of students in traditional classes. Ideally I'd like to teach online courses in the future. Later this fall I'm planning to take a course offered through Chemeketa Community College called Hybrid Instruction. 

Tomorrow it all begins again. The teaching, the reading, the panicked writing, the marathon conferencing, the endless research.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Ooh, yeah. I'm likin' the idea of all assignments on Blackboard. It helps with sustainability, but it also just helps ME keep organized. I do soooo much better keeping track of stuff and dealing with stuff when it's online.

So, you're going to have your students email you their homework? Hmmm. I'll still want them (often, at least) to print out their homework, though -- assuming they'll need to use it or refer to it during class. Does your homework tend to be stuff they don't need to refer to during class?

I'm taking that class on teaching online, too.

And yes, good description: "The teaching, the reading, the panicked writing, the marathon conferencing, the endless research."

It all begins again... though for me some of it is new. Ahhhhh! :O)

Julie said...

Hey Laura!
No emailing homework, all of the assignments are directly on the Blackboard like a test. They just go in and answer the questions in their BB. Then I go back in and check out what they did.

Laura said...

ahhh!

Anonymous said...

hey baby what if the power goes out?It will be upsetting or maybe not , its kind of like the dog ate it.

Bird Wicks said...

combining sustainability and TA'ing is a great idea!