CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Español

I am both loving and hating Spanish class. 


I dislike the fact that I MUST pass this class and two more terms of Spanish... Although I see how the requirement might be useful for a Literature person, especially in Lit and Culture,  I don't think it is ultimately useful for a person studying 19th and early 20th century American Literature. 

I like Spanish though. 

I like Spanish poetry and music. I like many elements of Spanish culture. This class however is sucking out my brain. Although I feel like I understand la professora when she teaches (all en español) I really am no good at speaking. Meh... frustrating. Frustrating because I am failing at it and also frustrating because as a Ph.D. speaking will likely never be part of my need to comprehend the language. 

Argh.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pa says you can't just do the easy things in life raising 5or 6 children isn't easy but you do your best.Good luck.

Anonymous said...

but its sexy

Laura said...

Yeah, it's too bad you can't take a language and just focus on reading and writing. At Fuller Seminary, they had a good method: we could take "theological German" and "theological French," both aiming to teach you to do research in those languages. So in one quarter we got some serious vocab because we could focus on reading (and some writing).

And I'm just glad I did my two years of language twenty years ago (French). But you know what, even then, I don't remember speaking in class THAT much. The prof spoke en francais, we took dictee, and we read texts and talked a BIT, but I'm pretty sure the emphasis was not on as conversational a method as maybe your class is.