CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hybridity

I enrolled in a class about Hybrid classrooms that started this week. By Hybrid Classroom I mean a mix of online and in class teaching. This type of teaching is totally my thing. This term I've turned my 121 into a totally hybrid experience.

So far the class has been interesting. I've been able to discus my views on hybrid classrooms with a number of people who seem to be a bit skeptical about online classes and how they might be able to meet the needs of their students through something that seems to appear to be limiting in their view. I've been an online student and I have a different take on it.

In fact I'm getting pretty passionate about the hybrid class, so much so that I'm using this topic as the project for my Comp. Assistant class.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think hybrid (and MAYBE even totally online) classes are almost perfect for writing classes. They greatly EXPAND the teaching/learning opportunities rather than limit them. And it is a WRITING class, after all (perfect for the online environment), not a TALKING class. Not that talking is not an important part of learning to write, but...

Anonymous said...

people are less distracted i would think.more into the subject and less what others are wearing or what size or hair color so on.

Sara Jameson said...

You are doing a great job!

In trying to go with the official definitions of hybrid - which is our homework 2A for this week - in which normal onsite seat time is replaced by online class, then what you are doing might not count, as you have not reduced any of the regular class time, but just enhanced the class greatly. Let's ask Marcia for her sense.

McS said...

Regarding "official definitions of hybrid"

Different institutions have defined hybrid/blended courses in various ways.

At my college, we distinguish among course configurations: onsite, enhanced, hybrid, and online.

Specifically the difference between "enhanced" and "hybrid" rests, not on whether technology is included as part of the instructional learning experience, but on whether or not the traditional required onsite "seat time" is reduced and replaced with required online instructional/learning time.

May seem like a slight distinction; however, it is an essential one on my campus. Partly this is true because my campus infuses technology in many different ways across its course offerings!

For example, what is a telecourse with an optional discussion board and posting of learning resources?

McS