CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Grading Portfolios and Such

I've been diligently grading my student's work for the past few days. It is an emotional roller coaster of sorts and I will be glad when it is over. I'm trying to formulate the top five issues I want to address in class. So far I only have issues two that I am sure of addressing.


So far my number one issue is Second Person Voice / Narration.
Despite the fact that I pointed this issue out in class and in conferences, about 80% of the papers I've graded contain some second person. It is making me crazy. I've avoided being overly punitive about it, but I am annoyed.

My second biggest gripe is formatting.
I'm not talking citations or works cited, I am talking about simple format. This includes margins, spacing, and font. I am almost sure that my students are tech savvy enough to figure this stuff out, so why are they choosing not to? Laziness is the only thing I can come up with.

I am weighing the pros and cons of attaching heavy penalties to the violation of these particular issues for paper 2. I don't know... 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

font,whats holy water have to do with? thats a receptacle in church for baptismal water.just being a smartass

Anonymous said...

VOTE FOR NADER

Bird Wicks said...

I say tell them if they mess up again they'll be penalized. There are professors that'll penalize without warning, this kids are lucky you're not one of them!