CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Of Pangs and Pages

Feeling the pinch of a day without Wharton, I've spent today attending to other literary pursuits. My class in Women and Literature ran from 9 am to 11 am and then spilled over into another 45 minutes of conversation for those of us who are graduate students. I had been hoping for a small class, but this class is well stocked with undergraduates. In all we as a class probably total around 25 people.


The first read of the session is The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Written in 1899, this novel has some stylistic and thematic similarities in common with some of Wharton's work. This is helping to ease my transition away from my serious focus on the Thesis. I intend to do all of my major projects for this class on this particular novel so that my energies expended here can double by providing some more background for my thesis work (fortunately this work has a significant body of water at the center of its action). The syllabus for this class is stuffed and I have read my 57 pages for the night.

Now onward to dinner and blondies (vegan).

3/4 c. butter or margarine
2 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 Tb. vanilla
1-2 Tb. finely ground coffee
2 eggs (or egg replacer)
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 c. chocolate chips
1/2-1 c. walnuts

melt butter/margarine dissolve sugar in it
let this mix cool then add vanilla and egg (mix it up)
add this liquid to the mixed dry ingredients
fold in choc chips and nuts

press into greased 9x13 and cook 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hobbit looks forward to your blondie zgoodness...maybe with some ice cream....=). My deepest sympathies to 57 pgs. a night though im sure your lovin it on some level and hell......if it helps in any way w/ your thesis...right on