CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Three-way Dance

In Betj's class today I noticed that I see in two of Cather's novels (Death Comes for the Arch-Bishop and The Professor's House) an argument for an intermediary space between to "poles". In both of these books this intermediate space seems somehow related to gardens or orchards. I have not worked out all of my thoughts about this, but I do know that I totally adore both of these works of fiction and it will be a pleasure to write about them, I only wish I had more time.

In other news nothing has happened with the thesis....stasis.... I can only hope that my ecocritical work with other texts and in other contexts will prove fruitful when the time comes to crank out chapters.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just read the cliff notes for death comes for the arch bishop. many characters in that one.what are you saying, that the two stories have hidden messages?

Anonymous said...

me again,inheritance is also in both isn,t it?

Julie said...

Not that they have a hidden message so much, but that her representations of gardens seem to suggest that she is valuing them as a place between idealized "wilderness" and vilified "society"

Anonymous said...

i looked her up,she has alot of stuff for me to check out.whats next? i like to have some idea of what your talking about.pa said im reading it so i dont look stupid.im seeking knowledge thats all.

Anonymous said...

i looked her up,she has alot of stuff for me to check out.whats next? i like to have some idea of what your talking about.pa said im reading it so i dont look stupid.im seeking knowledge thats all.

Julie said...

Nothing wrong with gathering knowledge, that's my deal in life.